Saturday, October 9, 2010

Soft Skills Workshop and Interview Discussion


Lynne Pettit led a great discussion on “Great Work, Great Career” and developing the soft skills necessary to succeed in business. From the notes I took, there are a few things that stuck out to me including: the fact that I’m worried about getting a job is a strength, adhering to basic principles will bring results, you can’t do anything in life without a support group, and a sincere desire to learn about someone else is very important. All of these principles we discussed I want to use in my Leadership Taxonomy because I feel they are very important to developing good leadership qualities. After a very nice pizza lunch, we returned back to the hotel and were able to have a great exercise practicing interviewing. The main things I took away from this include: keeping my hands over my knees while maintaining good posture, always leaving a thank you note, have questions for my interviewer, and make sure I am memorable through the stories I use. Dominique did a very fun presentation about good interviewing techniques and he has a unique way of teaching. This whole day was very important because I was able to learn from experts about the basic principles I will need to get my foot into the business world. I really appreciate Shannon, Stacey, Krystn, and Lynne and everything they do to help me become better and more ready for my future. I’m very lucky to learn from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment